Mobile Future, a coalition of businesses, non-profits and individuals pushing for advances and a clear playing fields for wireless technology, have created this video to inform the world that wireless technology is getting… well… really, really big.
For example (as you will learn in the next two minutes, 50 seconds):
- Five billion apps were downloaded in 2010, up from 300 million in 2009
- Five million people joined Foursquare, up from 200,000 last year
- Twitter mobile usage experienced a year-to-year increase of 347%
- Facebook recorded 200 million mobile users in 2010.
- The number of YouTube videos played on mobile devices was 100 million… each day!
- And our favorite: the average US teenager knocked out 3,339 text messages a month. Yow.
In Australia, mobile wireless (not including mobile handsets) is the nation’s fastest-growing technology for Internet access, with 3.5 million subscribers in June 2010. That’s a 21.7% bump over December 2009, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.