You can’t walk down any street, catch any train, tram or bus, without realising the proliferation of smart phones.
Australians have always loved technology. If you can plug it in, Australians will buy one. Possibly two. We just love our tech.
Recent research Roy Morgan analysed by ACMA reveals exactly how much we currently love our technology.
- In May this year, around 12 million people owned a smart phone. That’s an increase of 8 per cent in the past year.
- There were 8.3 million active mobile internet uses in December 2013. That’s a growth rate of 196 per cent (yes!) since 2010.
- 8.9 million Australians with a smartphone downloaded an app in the six months to May 2013.
- In that timeframe, 4.3 million downloaded a banking or financial services app, 2.9 million a shopping app.
- Of the users accessing the internet via their mobile device, 41 per cent undertook a mobile transaction.
- Of users who were aged 25-34, that number increases to 55 per cent.
- 79 per cent of mobile shopping users, used their device to research a product during December 2013.
In short, we love our apps and are increasingly using m-commerce to buy stuff we want.
There’s much more in the report regarding online shopping and financial services behaviour. If that sounds like your startup, then you need to see these stats to see what your customers are doing!
M-commerce in Australia