Like this innovation? Show your support by tweeting it, ‘liking’ it on Facebook, or leaving a comment below.
1. THE BEGINNING
This innovation came to life when…
LexisNexis identified and wanted to address the key challenges affecting our customers – how to incorporate the mobility and connectivity features of new tablet devices to transform traditional print legal resources, in particular the large loose-leaf volumes into a meaningful digital workflow for lawyers.
To that end, LexisNexis Pacific developed LexisNexis® Red™, the world’s first mobile digital referencing tool designed specifically to meet the needs of legal practitioners. LexisNexis Red allows lawyers to get rid of their previously heavy and hard-to-carry legal materials and instead carry and instantly access the most up-to-date legal reference materials via their portable device.
2. WHAT & HOW
The purpose of this innovation is to…
Make lawyers more efficient when on the move. LexisNexis Red is a portable, optimised referencing tool for legal content, ensuring practitioners can access legal content on-the-go when they need it most, without having to carry large volumes of loose leaf.
It does this by…
The LexisNexis Red app: digital loose-leaf services are updated automatically (Internet connection required), are accessible 24/7 and will be at lawyer’s fingertips when they need them most. LexisNexis Red allows legal practitioners to carry and reference their LexisNexis digital content on and offline via laptop, PC or iPad, with automatic updating of new content, advanced referencing, and highlighting functionalities.
3. PURPOSE & BENEFITS
This innovation improves on what came before because…
Previously lawyers would use trolleys to carry their legal references to court because they needed so much material. In addition, just to maintain the currency of the services required extra staff. There was no technology available to them to access these documents with all their expertise noted inside them, in an offline environment, other than in heavy folders.
The benefits to the customer/end-user include…
- Portable — a loose-leaf library on portable devices such as your iPad or PC, online and offline.
- Reliable — content updates and annotations are saved to cloud automatically.
- Innovative — allows quick access to annotations, search, highlights, copy and paste.
4. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
In the past, this problem was solved by…
Lawyers carrying 7kg or more of legal reference materials with them to court, and required a lot of time updating the content regularly. LexisNexis Red means these paper-based resources are now accessible on a 700g tablet device, without Internet access with advanced search, referencing and annotation functionalities, creating efficiencies, sustainability, and gains in the administration of justice.
Its predecessors/competitors include…
LexisNexis is the only provider in the marketplace that currently delivers a digital referencing tool for active legal content across a full suite of practice areas. Other providers are currently offering static book solutions rather than live legal content.
5. TARGET MARKET
This innovation is made for…
Legal practitioners including barristers, employees of small-to-large-sized law firms, sole practitioners and in-house counsel from Government departments and corporations.
LexisNexis Red is made for practitioners who:
- Have limited access to Internet connections
- Traditionally carry multiple hard-copy volumes of legal information
- Regularly appear in court and require current legal information and annotations quickly
- Are seeking efficiency that enables them to search, find, read, copy, paste and make notes against larger pieces of legal content
6. DISTRIBUTION STRATEGY
It is available for sale through…
Customers can download the app for free on the Apple iTunes Store and download the PC app by visiting www.lexisnexis.com.au/lexisnexisred.
To access paid subscriptions on LexisNexis Red, customers contact Customer Service on 1800772772.
Complimentary one-week trials are also available.
Our marketing strategy is to…
- Reinforce perception of LexisNexis as a global innovator of content and content distribution technologies
- Enable users to access and use the content they have through us where and how they want in line with the way they work
- Provide the full features and functionality that allows users to interact with dynamic content
Your Turn — VOTE!
If this SMART 100 innovation wowed you, why not get the word out?
- Tweet it: Top left of each page
- Trigger a Reaction: Facebook ‘Like’, etc.
- Leave a Comment: Anonymous comments excluded.
We’ll use your vote to create the 2013 SMART 100 Readers’ Choice Index. Learn more here!
This SMART 100 profile and the information it contains is a duplication of content submitted by the applicant during the entry process. As a function of entry, applicants were required to declare that all details are factually correct, do not infringe on another’s intellectual property and are not unlawful, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, obscene, or otherwise objectionable. Some profiles have been edited for reasons of space and clarity.