Talking Business is a podcast review of the Australian economy, presented by seasoned business journalists Leon Gettler and Garry Barker, produced in association with the RMIT College of Business. It features interviews with prominent business leaders and expert analysis from RMIT academics.
News Desk: all clear for the NBN, new anti-siphoning laws and more
Leon and Garry talk about Telstra’s shares soaring with the Government getting the NBN legislation through parliament. What’s next, and how is the business model shaping up? Plus, a look at the new anti-siphoning laws and why they provide wins for both free-to-air TV and pay TV.
Also in this podcast:
- Mining magnate Gina Rinehart takes a stake in the Ten Network.
- Harvey Norman chief Gerry Harvey says retailers are in for a bad Christmas and wants the GST imposed on imported goods acquired off the Internet.
- Metcash defies the ACCC and announces it will pursue acquisition of Franklins.
- Private business investment jumps in the September quarter but there is a fall in construction activity.
- Qantas announces it will resume flying the Airbus380 and Australia’s banking sector is in for a shakeup with Treasurer Wayne Swan saying he wants to introduce a new pillar.
- Shares in QR National trade 4% higher on their debut.
- Fortescue Metals says it will take on $4 billion worth of more debt but ASIC is pursuing the company for misleading announcements.
- The Federal Government announces an audit of foreign ownership of farming business.
- Westfield will make $490 million selling half its London shopping mall.
- Fairfax announces a management restructure to take on digital media.
- Billionaire Clive Palmer gives his workers massive perks for Christmas but the Commonwealth Bank cancels one of its Christmas parties.
- Wine and beer sales are down. PBL Media plans a $5 billion float next year. The Australian Crime Commission drops its investigation into Paul Hogan’s tax activities. Melbourne architecture firm Fender Katsalidis has won a tender design for the world’s second biggest building in Malaysia. ANZ misses out on buying a stake in the Korea Exchange Bank.
Press play to listen.
Talking Business Podcasts on iTunes
Garry Barker and Leon Gettler both have established careers with The Age newspaper, where Garry Barker is its Technology Editor, and Leon Gettler is a Senior Business Journalist. Gettler also works freelance on a number of other publications.