We’ve thrown a whole bunch of these whipsaw “did you know?” presentations at you over the years. And we’ll continue to do so. Because they’re fun. And, like this little video about the social media explosion, they give you tasty stuff to chew on.
- 90% of consumers trust peer recommendations, while only 14% trust advertisements.
- One in five couples meet online. Three in five gay couples meet online.
- Some universities have stopped assigning email addresses to students.
- Social games will buy $6 billion in virtual goods by 2013.
- And (we love this), Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears have more Twitters followers combined than Australia has people (the Beebster has a tick less than 15 million; Oz’s population is a mere 22 million).
Where is this all going, especially from the point of view of SMEs? The video says that 93% of marketers use social media for business.