This is fascinating.
According to iA’s description:
- Each domain is evaluated based on traffic, revenue, age and the company that owns it.
- A station’s height represents its domain’s success. “Success” refers not only to traffic, but also revenue and trend.
- A station’s width represents the stability of the company behind its domain. However, not every large corporation has a large building.
- Unless its domain has proven itself as a significant online component, its station remains thin.
- A station’s location on a metro line indicates the group it belongs to.
- A station‘s position on the map—whether inside the main line, on the main line, or outside the main line—indicates whether it is a part of the tech establishment, a traffic hub, or an online suburb.
Click to view full map in high resolution. (Warning: you might find yourself pouring over this for hours. You’ve been warned.)